Since the girlfriend and I are having family over for Memorial Day, I wanted to find the perfect line up of food to make for everyone. I have a wonderful pork chop recipe that I knew would impress everyone. And for cocktails, I learned to make a tasty mint julep, but dessert was escaping me, until I found this refreshing recipe for perfect homemade dessert!
When a recipe website suggests a dessert “based on your recent searches” of alcohol, I start to think that I spend way too much time on a recipe site looking for cocktail recipes. But I shrugged it off after I taste tested this recipe for Pina Colada Sorbet! Since there are kids coming over, I knew it wouldn’t be nice to have ice cream the kids couldn’t eat, so I made sure it had no alcohol in it at all, so I will say this is a kids friendly dessert! AllRecipes.com lays it out pretty easy:
- 1 1/2 cups white sugar
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 1 (20 ounce) can canned crushed pineapple, drained
- 1 (13.5 ounce) can coconut milk
- 1/4 cup lime juice
- Make a syrup by bringing the sugar and water to a boil in a small saucepan over high heat, stir and boil until the liquid becomes clear, about 1 minute. Set aside to cool.
- Blend the drained pineapple in a blender or food processor until very smooth and frothy. In a large bowl, whisk together the syrup, pineapple puree, coconut milk, and lime juice. Refrigerate until chilled, about 3 hours.
- Freeze in the freezer canister of an ice cream maker according to the manufacturer’s directions.