Zoe Michener is a young girl that should be enjoying life right now, but she isn’t. I mean, it was even FIELD DAY at school, and we all remember how great it was to play outside all day instead of doing school work! Well, Zoe is currently in the hospital because of bad sunburns she got during field day. Not because she didn’t WANT to put sunscreen on, but because the school wouldn’t let her! Read about the crazy school policy!
According to Yahoo, Zoe is in some pain but fine while at the hospital for her sunburn. And the whole reason she got the sunburn was because her school wouldn’t let her put the lotion on! She wasn’t even allowed to bring it to school! According to the school, they have a policy for all medications, including over the counter medications, and the FDA considers sunblock “over the counter.”
“Our policy follows the state law which allows district to establish the rules for how medications, both over-the-counter and prescription medication, is handled in the school,” he said. “Our policy is that any of that medication requires a doctor’s order for kids to take it at school. This is really to protect other students who could be exposed to various medications that they could be allergic to.”
Zoe’s mom Jesse is not too pleased! I wouldn’t be either!
“Two of my three children experienced significant sunburns. Like, hurts-to-look-at burns,” Michener wrote. “Violet is starting to blister on her face.” Both Violet, 11, and her sister, Zoe, 9, “have headaches, chills and pain” and had to stay home from school the next day.
From now on, I would be sneaking the sunblock into their bags anyways! Read more about how they are feeling, just head over to Yahoo.com