If you have pets and plan to do some Easter stuff this week, remember that Easter decorations, candy and pets don’t mix! Veterinarians say the shiny grass typically used to decorate Easter baskets shouldn’t be used because pets sometimes try to eat it and can’t digest it. The blades can get stuck internally and cause a blockage in the intestinal tract. Other things to keep out of reach of pets include…
The shiny grass in your child’s Easter basket may be especially tempting for pets if it’s packed with candy, which can lead to another big danger — chocolate. Most adults know that it’s not good for cats and dogs, but experts said to make sure kids are warned not to share, too.
Another big danger, especially for cats is the Easter lily, which is extremely toxic if ingested by your cat. So be sure to keep any plants in the lily family out of reach from your pet. The last thing you want to do is spend your holiday in a veterinary emergency room!
I speak from experience when I say that you need to keep all alcohol out of your pets reach too. My oldest Yorkie Elvis nearly died when he was a little puppy, after taking a swig out of my girlfriends cocktail with Scotch in it at Christmas, and we spent Christmas eve in the vets ER room, while they gave him charcoal to soak up the liquor and sober him up!
What crazy thing did your dog or cat eat that made them super sick during the holidays?