By Radio.com Staff
The Georgia native’s sixth studio album, Old Boots, New Dirt was produced by Aldean’s longtime collaborator Michael Knox and recorded with members of his road band. The 15 tracks include material penned by such notable songwriters as Chris DeStefano, Rhett Akins, Ashley Gorley, Neil Thrasher, Ben Hayslip, Brett Beavers and Chris Stapleton (see the full track list below).
“With this new album, it’s definitely the same old me,” Aldean said of the new collection. “But, I like to mix things up and try new sounds and go into territory I’ve never explored before, so I do a little bit of that, too. That’s why I named the album Old Boots, New Dirt…I’m almost 10 years into this crazy ride, but in a lot of ways, I feel like I’m just gettin’ started.”
Aldean unveiled the album’s lead single, “Burnin’ It Down,” earlier this summer. Penned by Tyler Hubbard and Brian Kelley of Florida Georgia Line, along with Rodney Clawson and Chris Tompkins, it’s a slow and sexy song that marks a new direction for the often-hard-rocking country superstar.
“Sonically, [‘Burnin’ It Down’] definitely feels like something different for me and what I have typically put out as the lead single off my previous albums,” Aldean said of the song when it was first released. “I’ve pretty much always gone with a really guitar-driven song that’s pretty in your face, and this is more of a laid back thing with a really cool groove.”
The album’s 15 songs, though, showcase a mix of styles. “Gonna Know We Were Here,” for instance, embodies more of Aldean’s familiar party vibe, while “Tonight Looks Good on You” is more of a slow jam grounded with a memorable groove.
And on “Two Night Town,” the final song on the album, Aldean laments that he tends to “stay too long” in certain situations. The arrangement has an Americana vibe that wouldn’t sound out of place on a John Mellencamp set list, and it begins with some compelling guitar reverb that adds to the haunting, reflective nature of the song.
Old Boots, New Dirt track listing:
01. Just Gettin’ Started (Chris DeStefano, Rhett Akins, Ashley Gorley)
02. Show You Off (Neil Thrasher, Tony Martin, Brett Beavers)
03. Burnin’ It Down (Rodney Clawson, Tyler Hubbard, Brian Kelley, Chris Tompkins)
04. Tryin’ To Love Me (Wendell Mobley, Hillary Lindsey, Neil Thrasher)
05. Sweet Little Somethin’ (David Lee Murphy, Ben Hayslip, Marv Green)
06. Laid Back (Michael Tyler Spragg, Jaron Boyer, Adam Shoenfeld)
07. Tonight Looks Good On You (Dallas Davidson, Rhett Akins, Ashley Gorley)
08. Too Fast (Chris Stapleton, Lee Thomas Miller)
09. If My Truck Could Talk (Wendell Mobley, Neil Thrasher, Andrew Pates)
10. Old Boots, New Dirt (Lee Thomas Miller, Tom Shapiro, Neil Thrasher)
11. I Took It With Me (David Lee Murphy, Ben Hayslip)
12. Don’t Change Gone (Neil Thrasher, Tony Martin, Michael Dulaney)
13. Miss That Girl (Ross Copperman, David Lee Murphy)
14. Gonna Know We Were Here (Brett Beavers, Brett James)
15. Two Night Town (Tim Nichols, Brett James)