Tomorrow is Valentine’s Day and some people will go crazy with elaborate gifts and surprises for their lover! I know lots of guy like my husband, who call it a ‘Hallmark Holiday’ and only buy a card or gift because they feel pressured to do so. But let me tell you, no matter how you feel about Valentine’s day, it really is a great excuse to indulge in sweet treats. I know I love candy, how about you? No Valentine’s Day is complete without candies…
Here are some interesting facts about your favorite candy:
1) When it comes to confectionary purchases during holidays, Valentine’s Day is placed in the fourth spot after Halloween, Easter and Christmas.
2) At least 75 percent of Valentine’s Day candy purchases consist of chocolate sales.
3) About 40 million heart-shaped chocolate boxes are expected to be sold for Valentine’s Day this year.
4) Caramel-flavored chocolates are the favorite ones in a Valentine’s Day chocolate box. Chocolate-covered nuts were a close second.
5) Approximately 83 percent of Americans share candies with their friends and family on Valentine’s Day.
6) 69 percent of Americans prefer chocolate over flowers on Valentine’s Day.
7) The legendary conversation hearts, Sweethearts, were first made by the New England Confectionery Company in the year 1866.
8) While the New England Confectionery Company spends 11 months producing the conversation hearts, they are all sold within six weeks.
9) Every year, 10 new conversation-heart sayings are introduced. Some of the latest sayings include “Tweet Me” and “LOL.”
10) Richard Cadbury created the world’s first heart-shaped candy box for Valentine’s Day in the year 1861.